Monday, September 10, 2007

Prices

Istanbul is an expensive place to live. It is especially expensive compared to Taiwan where it was pretty much impossible to spend as much as I made. First, I have to get used to the exchange rate. In Taiwan, one automatically divided quoted prices by 3. Here the YTL (New Turkish Lira) trades at just less than 1:1, so when I see something for 15 L, my brain thinks $5 but it is more like $14. Sometimes this is not realized until after the purchase. Also, since they just recently created the YTL by dropping 6 zeros off the old money, many people still quote prices in millions.

There are very nice stores here but I suspect no teachers shop there. Even with "end of the season" sales, I can't afford to buy anything in them. I am told that things will improve when I try different neighborhoods. But even food is kind of pricey. Toilet paper is about .75 a roll, vinegar was $4 for a small bottle, milk is $3 for a liter box of UHT. Diet Coke may become my biggest investment of the year. Tomatoes, however, are cheap! The number I am eating, I'm afraid I may break out in a rash.

I did find my way downtown by myself over the weekend, making me feel much more independent and "closer to the action". Transportation is not cheap either, though. For me to take a bus to the subway and the subway onward is easy and convenient. It takes between an hour and an hour and a half and costs $3 each way -- so even if I don't buy anything, just to go where there is any fun costs $6.

Traffic is appalling and the main topic of every morning conversation. To solve that problem, many schools and many large corporations, provide minibus pickup for their employees. For my school there are several who drive around and pick up their teachers. It is very prompt and convenient (and free!) but it also means that there is no flexibility in when I come or go -- no putting off your xeroxing to the morning! Also, since teachers are able to bring their small children to the school-provided nursery, my "servis" has as many crabby babies as adults! It does give me my pick of babies to adopt as grandchildren, however, and one little girl (9 months) has already decided that my lap is acceptable.

No comments: